1. De Leo D, Krysinska K. Suicide and Self-directed Violence. In: Quah SR, editor. International Encyclopedia of Public Health (Second Edition). Oxford: Academic Press. 2017; 115-23.
2. Gao J, Cheng Q, Duan J, Xu Z, Bai L, Zhang Y, et al. Ambient temperature, sunlight duration, and suicide: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Science of The Total Environment. 2019; 646: 1021-9.
3. Ngwena J, Hosany Z, Sibindi I. Suicide: a concept analysis. Journal of Public Health. 2017; 25(2): 123-34.
4. Ronzitti S, Kraus SW, Hoff RA, Clerici M, Potenza MN. Problem-gambling severity, suicidality and DSM-IV Axis II personality disorders. Addictive behaviors. 2018; 82: 142-50.
5. Turecki G, Brent DA. Suicide and suicidal behaviour. Lancet. 2016; 387(10024): 1227-39.
6. Rogers ML, Ringer FB, Joiner TE. The association between suicidal ideation and lifetime suicide attempts is strongest at low levels of depression. Psychiatry research. 2018; 270: 324-8.
7. Nock MK, Borges G, Bromet EJ, Cha CB, Kessler RC, Lee S. Suicide and suicidal behavior. Epidemiol Rev. 2008; 30: 133-54.
8. DeShong HL, Tucker RP, O'Keefe VM, Mullins-Sweatt SN, Wingate LR. Five factor model traits as a predictor of suicide ideation and interpersonal suicide risk in a college sample. Psychiatry research. 2015; 226(1): 217-23.
9. South SC, Jarnecke AM, Vize CE. Sex differences in the Big Five model personality traits: A behavior genetics exploration. Journal of Research in Personality. 2018; 74: 158-65.
10. Klamer S, Schwarz L, Kruger O, Koch K, Erb M, Scheffler K, et al. Association between Neuroticism and Emotional Face Processing. Sci Rep. 2017; 7(1): 17669.
11. Tov W, Nai ZL, Lee HW. Extraversion and Agreeableness: Divergent Routes to Daily Satisfaction With Social Relationships. J Pers. 2016; 84(1): 121-34.
12. Jourdy R, Petot J-M. Relationships between personality traits and depression in the light of the “Big Five” and their different facets. L'Évolution Psychiatrique. 2017; 82(4): e27-e37.
13. Bairami M, Eghbali A, Gholizadeh H. Interaction between personality factors and depression symptoms, hopelessness and suicidal ideation among students. Medical Journal of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences and Health Services. 34(1): 28-34.
14. Rostami C, Daliri S, Sayehmiri K, Delpisheh A, Sayehmiri F. The incidence of suicide attempt in Iran (2001-12): A meta-analysis. Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences. 2016; 19(7): 374-82.
15. Roshandel Hesari A, Sadeghi A, Hasani R, Afrasiyabi H, Aliabadi J. Relationship between personality traits and the prevalence of suicidal ideation in army soldiers. Military Caring Sciences. 2018; 4(4): 258-65.
16. Hatami H. Structural model of personality traits and identity styles with mediating alexithymia in suicidal ideations of soldiers. Journal of Military Psychology. 2015; 6(23): 41-57.
17. Miri M, Shirazi M. Comparison of personality traits and attitude to suicide in two groups of individuals with suicide attempts by self-immolation and drug use. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2017; 9(1): 11-20.
18. Baertschi M, Costanza A, Canuto A, Weber K. The Function of Personality in Suicidal Ideation from the Perspective of the Interpersonal-Psychological Theory of Suicide. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2018; 15(4).
19. Bluml V, Kapusta ND, Doering S, Brahler E, Wagner B, Kersting A. Personality factors and suicide risk in a representative sample of the German general population. PloS one. 2013; 8(10): 1-13.
20. Szucs A, Szanto K, Aubry JM, Dombrovski AY. Personality and suicidal behavior in old age: A systematic literature review. Frontiers in psychiatry. 2018; 9: 128.
21. DS K. CART analysis with unit-weighted regression to predict suicidal ideation from Big Five traits. Personality and Individual Differences. 2003; 35(2): 249-61.
22. McCann SJ. Suicide, big five personality factors, and depression at the American state level. Archives of suicide research: official journal of the International Academy for Suicide Research. 2010; 14(4): 368-74.
23. Velting DM. Suicidal ideation and the five-factor model of personality. Personality and Individual Differences. 1999; 27(5): 943-52.
24. Plutchik R. The circumplex as a general model of thestructure of emotions and personality. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. 1997.
25. Mohammadlou M, Elahi T, Morovati Z. The role of personality traits in predicting defense mechanisms with mediating role of attribution styles in university students. Acta Medica Mediterranea. 2016; 32: 1265-72.
26. Zandi S, Shahabi Nejad Z, Borhan A. Predicting defense mechanisms based on big five personality traits among university students. Zanko Journal of Medical Sciences. 2017; 18(56): 21-32.
27. Granieri A, La Marca L, Mannino G, Giunta S, Guglielmucci F, Schimmenti A. The relationship between defense patterns and DSM-5 maladaptive personality domains. Frontiers in psychology. 2017; 8: 1-12.
28. Hyphantis T, Goulia P, Carvalho AF. Personality traits, defense mechanisms and hostility features associated with somatic symptom severity in both health and disease. Journal of psychosomatic research. 2013; 75(4): 362-9.
29. Cramer P, Porcerelli JH. Defense Mechanisms. In: Friedman HS, editor. Encyclopedia of Mental Health (Second Edition). Oxford: Academic Press. 2016; 13-7.
30. Vaillant GE. Defense Mechanisms. In: Ramachandran VS, editor. Encyclopedia of Human Behavior (Second Edition). San Diego: Academic Press. 2012; 659-66.
31. Vaillant GE. Involuntary coping mechanisms: a psychodynamic perspective. Dialogues in clinical neuroscience. 2011; 13(3): 366-70.
32. Yazdanshenas Ghazwin M, Tavakoli SAH, Latifi S, Saberi H, Derakhshanrad N, Yekaninejad MS, et al. Psychological defense mechanisms among individuals with SCI with adjustment disorder. J Spinal Cord Med. 2017; 40(5): 538-47.
33. Strandholm T, Kiviruusu O, Karlsson L, Miettunen J, Marttunen M. Defense Mechanisms in Adolescence as Predictors of Adult Personality Disorders. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2016; 204(5): 349-54.
34. Vaillant GE. Conclusion: where do we go from here?. Journal of abnormal psychology. 1998; 103(1): 44-50.
35. Laaksonen MA, Sirkia C, Knekt P, Lindfors O. Self-reported immature defense style as a predictor of outcome in short-term and long-term psychotherapy. Brain Behav. 2014; 4(4): 495-503.
36. Pompili M, Rinaldi G, Lester D, Girardi P, Ruberto A, Tatarelli R. Hopelessness and suicide risk emerge in psychiatric nurses suffering from burnout and using specific defense mechanisms. Archives of psychiatric nursing. 2006; 20(3): 135-43.
37. Rahimian Boogar E. The age, gender and psychological factors accompanied with suicide attempt among 20 to 70 years old population of Tehran city in 1392. Journal of Ilam University of Medical Sciences. 2014; 22(2): 39-49.
38. Rahimian Boogar E, Alavi K, Esfahani M. The psychological, demographical and socio-economic factors related with suicidal ideation among general population of Semnan city in 1391. Journal of Arak University of Medical Sciences. 2014;17(1):25-38.
39. Aliverdinia A, Rezaei A, Peyro F. A Sociological Analysis of University Students Attitude's toward Suicide. Journal of Applied Sociology. 2011; 22(4): 1-18.
40. Karbalaee Mohammad Meigouni A. The mediating role of depression and anxiety in the relationship between rumination and thought suppression strategies and suicidal ideation. Middle Eastern Journal of Disability Studies. 2018; 8: 110-9.
41. Guadagnoli E, Velicer WF. Relation to sample size to the stability of component patterns. Psychological Bulletin. 1998; 103(2): 265-75.
42. Costa PT, McCrae RR. The NEO-PI/NEO-FFI manual supplement. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources. 1989.
43. Costa PTMR. Revised NEO Personality Inventory (NEO-PI-R) and NEO Five-Factor Inventory (NEO-FFI) professional manual. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources. 1992.
44. Garoosi Farshi MT, Mehryar AH, Ghazi Tabatabaee M. Application of The NEOPI-R test and analytic Evaluation of it’s characteristics and factorial structure among Iranian university students Al-Zahra Human Sciences Quarterly. 2001; 11(39): 173-98. [Persian].
45. Andrews G, Singh M, Bond M. The Defense Style Questionnaire. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1993; 181(4): 246-56.
46. Heidari Nasab L, Mansouri M, Azadfallah P, Shaieeri MR. Validity and Reliability Of Defens Style Questionaire (DSQ-40) in Iranian Samples. Clinical Psychology & Personality. 2007; 1(22): 11-27.
47. Beck AT, Kovacs M, Weissman A. Assessment of suicidal intention: the Scale for Suicide Ideation. Journal of consulting and clinical psychology. 1979; 47(2): 343-52.
48. Beck AT, Steer RA, Ranieri WF. Scale for Suicide Ideation: psychometric properties of a self-report version. Journal of clinical psychology. 1988; 44(4): 499-505.
49. Anisi J, Fathi-Ashtiani A, Soltani Nejad A, Amiri M. Prevalence of Suicidal Ideation in Soldiers and its Associated Factors. Journal of Military Medicine. 2006; 8(2): 113-8.
50. Esfahani M, Hashemi Y, Alavi K. Psychometric assessment of beck scale for suicidal ideation (BSSI) in general population in Tehran. Medical journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran. 2015; 29: 268.
51. Lindblom J, Punamäki R-L, Flykt M, Vänskä M, Nummi T, Sinkkonen J, et al. Early family relationships predict children’s emotion regulation and defense mechanisms. SAGE Open. 2016; 6(4): 1-18.
52. Prout TA, Malone A, Rice T, Hoffman L. Resilience, Defense Mechanisms, and Implicit Emotion Regulation in Psychodynamic Child Psychotherapy. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy. 2019.
53. Bi B, Liu W, Zhou D, Fu X, Qin X, Wu J. Personality traits and suicide attempts with and without psychiatric disorders: analysis of impulsivity and neuroticism. BMC psychiatry. 2017; 17(1): 294.
54. Cameron S, Brown VJ, Dritschel B, Power K, Cook M. Understanding the relationship between suicidality, current depressed mood, personality, and cognitive factors. Psychology and psychotherapy. 2017; 90(4): 530-49.
55. Law KC, Chapman AL. Borderline personality features as a potential moderator of the effect of anger and depressive rumination on shame, self-blame, and self-forgiveness. Journal of behavior therapy and experimental psychiatry. 2015; 46: 27-34.
56. Ahmadian H, Jomehri F, Ahmadi H, Farokhi N. Compilation and testing the model of the relationship between personality, psychological needs and psychological well-being. Journal of Psychological Achievements. 2011; 18(1): 1-18.
57. Jolliffe D. Exploring the relationship between the Five-Factor Model of personality, social factors and self-reported delinquency. Personality and Individual Differences. 2013; 55(1): 47-52.
58. Livingston NA, Heck NC, Flentje A, Gleason H, Oost KM, Cochran BN. Sexual Minority Stress and Suicide Risk: Identifying Resilience through Personality Profile Analysis. Psychol Sex Orientat Gend Divers. 2015; 2(3): 321-8.
59. Drapeau CW, Cerel J, Moore M. How personality, coping styles, and perceived closeness influence help-seeking attitudes in suicide-bereaved adults. Death Stud. 2016; 40(3): 165-71.
60. Aftab R, Taghiloo S, Karbalaee Mohammad Meigouni A. The structural model of relationship between borderline personality traits, interpersonal difficulties and Internet addiction. Journal of Psychological Achievements. 2016; 23(2): 113-36.
61. Aftab R, Karbalaee Mohammad Meigouni A, Taghiloo S. Gender differences in the structural model of borderline personality, emotional regulation strategies and domestic violence. Thoughts and Behavior in Clinical Psychology. 2015; 9(34): 7-16.
62. McCrae RR, Costa PTJr. Personality in adulthood: A five-factor theory perspective 2nd ed. New York, NY, US: Guilford Press. 2003.
63. Sala MN, Testa S, Pons F, Molina P. Emotion regulation and defense mechanisms. Journal of Individual Differences. 2015; 36(1): 19-29.
64. Shehata AG, Ramadan FH. Relationship between emotional regulation strategies and self-reported ego defense styles among nursing interns at Alexandria, main university hospital. Journal of Nursing and Health Science. 2016; 6(1): 14-23.
65. Rice TR, Hoffman L. Defense mechanisms and implicit emotion regulation: a comparison of a psychodynamic construct with one from contemporary neuroscience. J Am Psychoanal Assoc. 2014; 62(4): 693-708.
66. Caligor E, Kernberg OF, Clarkin JF. Handbook of dynamic psychotherapy for higher level personality pathology. Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. 2007.
67. Colman AM. A Dictionary of Psychology 3rd ed: Oxford University Press. 2009.
68. Diehl M, Chui H, Hay EL, Lumley MA, Gruhn D, Labouvie-Vief G. Change in coping and defense mechanisms across adulthood: longitudinal findings in a European American sample. Dev Psychol. 2014; 50(2): 634-48.
69. Iwanicka K, Gerhant A, Olajossy M. Psychopathological symptoms, defense mechanisms and time perspectives among subjects with alcohol dependence (AD) presenting different patterns of coping with stress. PeerJ. 2017; 5: e3576.
70. Javaheri A, Ghanbari S, Zarandi AR. Relationship between defense mechanisms with experience and express of anger in female university students. Journal of Applied Psychology. 2011; 5(18): 97-110.
71. Vaish A. The prosocial functions of early social emotions: the case of guilt. Current opinion in psychology. 2018; 20: 25-9.
72. Whitman CN, Gottdiener WH. Implicit Coping Styles as a Predictor of Aggression. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma. 2015; 24(7): 809-24.
73. Zhu R, Feng C, Zhang S, Mai X, Liu C. Differentiating guilt and shame in an interpersonal context with univariate activation and multivariate pattern analyses. NeuroImage. 2019; 186: 476-86.
74. Yates TM. The developmental psychopathology of self-injurious behavior: compensatory regulation in posttraumatic adaptation. Clinical psychology review. 2004; 24(1): 35-74.